This is our all-time favourite relish at the Cornersmith Picklery. We serve this with poached eggs, curries, rice dishes, grilled vegetables and meats. Make it – we promise you won’t be disappointed! You can also find this recipe in the Use It All Cook Book.
Makes 3-4 x 300ml jars
- 1 kg (2 lb 3 oz) eggplants (aubergines)
- Vegetable oil
- 2 large brown onions
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 50 g (13/4 oz) grated ginger
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) red or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (110 g) caster (superfine) sugar
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas mark 6).
Prick eggplants all over with a fork, then rub them with vegetable oil. Place on a baking tray, then roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until the eggplants are tender.
While they are roasting, thinly slice brown onions. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté the onion until soft and sweet, then add dry spices, garlic and ginger. Sauté until fragrant.
Roughly chop the roasted eggplants, skins on, and add them to the pan with red or white wine vinegar and caster sugar. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until thick and glossy.